Are you not certain if the child is yours? DNA will help you answer the question. In most of the situations, an analysis is undertaken with the help of cheek-swab DNA samples from the probable parents and the child itself. If you are interested in getting a paternity test, here are some options available.
How to Get a Paternity Test?
There are three primary methods to obtain a paternity test. You can use an at-home kit which can be purchased online or at a retail store) or order a legal paternity test from a licensed lab, or getting a legal test performed through a court order. These options are delineated below.
Using an at-home paternity test kit
Purchasing an at-home paternity kit is the simplest and cheapest way to get a paternity test done. Some kits can be easily bought at drugstores and most of them are sold online.
- The kit and lab kit are totally cheap
- DNA can be collected easily and painlessly in the comfort of your home.
Results are not admissible at the court of law, since the identities of the testers are not verified by any third party.
Ordering a legal test from a lab
If you want to obtain results for legal reasons, you can consult an accredited lab directly that can provide you the most accurate sibling DNA test results as well as the paternal test results rather than hiring a lawyer or going through the court system. The lab can organize a legal test with court admissible outcomes for cases which involve:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Inheritance rights
- The results are accepted as the legal evidence of the relationship.
- It is a cost effective method to get court admissible results and as you are directly dealing with the lab, the process is fast and secure.
Additional fees involved in the DNA collection services.
Going to the court of law for legal testing
You can hire a lawyer in this case to organize the legal test for you to set up your case first and have the court order one as well, if deemed necessary.
- In most of the situations, the court directly orders it from the lab and makes the necessary arrangements for you.
- You may or may not need to pay for the testing process, which is dependent on the judgment of the court of law.
- You are held at the mercy of the court when it comes to the when and how you will be seeing the test results. If you have any questions regarding it, you cannot have a direct content with the lab which is used by the court of law for testing. You should address all the questions to the court of law
- You will also need to pay money to your attorney as well.